Chris sets record for Otley-London run
A cancer survivor has set an inaugural record for running from Yorkshire to London - and raised more than £1900 for charity.
Chris Carver completed the gruelling challenge in less than two days, leaving his home town of Otley at 9.00am on Saturday, May 23, and arriving at Trafalgar Square at 6am on Monday, May 25.
Months of training for the fundraiser - including night runs with a head torch - paid off as he covered the 218 miles of the route in just over 43 hours 16 minutes.
The run took his toll, though. Writing on his blog shortly after getting back to Otley, he said: "Everything seems twice as difficult as usual - even thinking is hard work today."
Chris, 45, underwent surgery for testicular and lung cancer in the 1990s and had part of his right lung removed. A keen runner, he came through that experience and went on to become one of the UK's best ultra-distance competitors.
He decided to organise the London run as a fund and awareness-raising venture for Orchid, a charity dedicated to preventing, diagnosing and treating male specific cancers.
He was helped by around 12 volunteers. Chris said: "My team of fantastic volunteers offered their time to help by either carrying food, drink, spare clothes and so on in their cars or by running or cycling sections with me, particularly during the night.
"The first day went very well indeed and I completed over 125 miles with no problems at all. The weather was dry and sunny, a big improvement on the previous few days rain and wind.
"The first day went very well indeed and I completed over 125 miles with no problems at all. The weather was dry and sunny, a big improvement on the previous few days rain and wind.
"The second day was a different story though. Temperatures soared to 23 degrees C by 9.30am and didn't drop below that for at least another ten hours.
"My pace wilted in the heat. Running over 200 miles is one thing, but doing up and down hills is something else. By late afternoon my helpers were buying me ice cream and refrigerated drinks in an effort to cool me down."
He revealed: "Three of his four targets were time based - I wanted to better the British records for 300 km and 200 miles, which are 34 hours, 26 minutes and 38 hours, 22 minutes respectively, and to establish an inaugural record of running from Leeds to London.
"I was disappointed to run 300 km in 39 hours, 22 minutes and 200 miles in 43 hours, 11 minutes but happy to finish with an inaugural record of 43 hours 16 minutes 31 seconds.
"My fourth target was to raise £2000 for Orchid. So far I've raised £1905.04 but I know there's more to come.
"I was disappointed to run 300 km in 39 hours, 22 minutes and 200 miles in 43 hours, 11 minutes but happy to finish with an inaugural record of 43 hours 16 minutes 31 seconds.
"My fourth target was to raise £2000 for Orchid. So far I've raised £1905.04 but I know there's more to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment